SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE [Capital City: Sao Tome]
PROVERBS FROM SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
1. Someone who has a wound in the mouth knows that blood is salty.
2. If money grew on trees, women would marry monkeys.
3. The crocodile finds refuge in the river when it starts to rain.
4. Do not blame God for having created the tiger, but thank Him for not having given it wings.
5. He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount.
6. Misfortunes come on horseback and depart on foot.
7. You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.
8. The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives.
9. Those who sleep with dogs will rise with fleas.
10. When an elephant is in trouble even a frog will kick him.
11. A stranger in town is like a white dog, he gets noticed immediately.
12. During the dry season it is better to befriend the owner of the canoe.
13. The elephant does not get tired of carrying its tusks.
14. A cow does not know what her tail is worth until she has lost it.
15. A devil with fine manners can still carry you only to hell.
16. A dog in a kennel barks at his fleas; a dog hunting does not notice them.
17. A thief passes for a gentleman when stealing has made him rich.
18. A dog in desperation will leap over a wall.
19. A fool says what he knows, but a wise man knows what he says.
20. A fool’s heart dances on his lips.
21. A fool’s tongue is long enough to cut his own throat.
22. A good anvil does not fear the hammer.
23. A man does not wander far from where his corn is roasting.
24. A man in love mistakes a pimple for a dimple.
IMPORTANT LINKS ON SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
The following links will take you to sources that have some important information on Sao Tome and Principe: